Caring for an older adult can bring up both positive and negative emotions. How do you know if you need extra support? Here are a few signs:
- Frustration or anger with everyone, from the care recipient to doctors
- Worry or anxiety
- Feeling guilty and thinking that you’re not doing enough, or feeling jealous of those who spend more time with the care recipient
Make time to take care of yourself — as well as others! Try these tips:
- Take care of your own health — eat healthy, exercise, and get enough sleep.
- Join a caregiver support group. Sharing stories with others in similar situations can relieve a sense of isolation and introduce you to resources that others find helpful.
- Ask for help. Check out these suggestions for starting a conversation about dividing caregiver responsibilities among the family.
- Take time for yourself. Take breaks during the day, spend time with friends, and keep up with your hobbies.
Read more about taking care of yourself when you’re caring for someone else.
Many thanks to National Institute on Aging for this information!!